LEARNING FROM THE PAST, AND LEADING FOR THE FUTURE
Linda Rottenberg, Endeavor CEO
Endeavor launched with a simple vision. We believe in a world where anyone, from anywhere, can hatch an idea; access the networks, talent and capital to take it to scale; achieve success; and pay it forward to inspire and enable the next generation. Twenty-one years, 30 countries and 1,800 selected entrepreneurs later, we’re not only promoting that same goal but standing as the worldwide LEADER of the high-impact entrepreneurship movement.
But while the mission set out 21 years ago was only a vision, today as LEADERS we have a far better understanding of what it means to be high-impact. It starts with entrepreneurs themselves. We like to say that Endeavor is all about Outlier entrepreneurs, the select few who build and scale lasting businesses, create thousands of jobs, mentor and invest in the next generation and inspire countless others to follow in their footsteps. They are the heart and soul of the lasting economic and cultural impact of entrepreneurship in their communities.
What does Outlier success look like? Here are just a few of the milestones our entrepreneurs celebrated in 2018:
- Endeavor companies received major investment: Our first selected company in Kenya, Cellulant, became the first in Africa to receive a major investment from the TPG Rise Fund, with participation from Endeavor Catalyst as well; Spain’s Goiko Grill, a burger chain, announced a partial sale to investment fund L Catterton for $140 million.
- Endeavor companies broke new ground in technical innovation: Argentina’s Satellogic, cited by Fast Company as one of Latin America’s 10 most innovative companies, operates a network of hundreds of nano-satellites that create high-resolution images at very low cost; Louisville’s LISNR deploys proprietary technology that is the world standard in 10 different industries for data-over-audio device connectivity.
- Endeavor companies crossed borders: Japan’s Uzabase acquired
the Quartz business news website in the U.S., while Beleza Natural opened its first outpost outside of Brazil, a hair salon on busy 125th Street in New York’s Harlem neighborhood!
- Endeavor companies led in job creation: Middle East ride-hailing leader Careem, already creating opportunities for tens of thousands of “captains” in 14 countries, announced a goal to recruit 20,000 female drivers in the next two years; Italy’s Talent Garden is creating innovative and cost-effective workspaces for thousands of tech-enabled start-ups across eight European countries.
Like any high performing organization, we set ambitious targets and constantly THINK BIGGER. When Edgar Bronfman, Jr. became board chair in 2010, he set a target of expanding to 25 countries by 2015. After we reached that goal, we outlined a more ambitious agenda for 2020, including a target of Endeavor Entrepreneurs creating two million jobs and achieving $20 billion in annual revenues. As we set about reaching—and surpassing—those 2020 goals, it’s time to look ten years forward to 2030 and imagine what #OneEndeavor—our team, our network and our entrepreneurs—can achieve. Here’s what we know about the future so far.
- The future will be tech enabled, no matter what industry an entrepreneur operates in. Endeavor Entrepreneurs use technological advances to improve daily living and expand access to healthcare, education, finance, transport, etc.
- The jobs of the future can be done anytime, anywhere and on demand.Endeavor Entrepreneurs are creating millions of those jobs through on-demand platforms, internet-enabled marketplaces and mobile technologies.
- The future includes smart cities. From reducing energy use in Malaysia, to dispatching ambulances in Egypt, and a shared scooter system in Mexico, Endeavor Entrepreneurs are at the forefront of making rapidly growing cities more efficient and dynamic places to live.
As we build the future, networks like Endeavor—open, transparent and borderless—will be of vital importance. We invite you to look inside our 2018 Impact Report and join us on our #OneEndeavor journey.
Onward and Upward!
Co-founder & CEO,